Statewide Immunization Information System
Each year, approximately 28,000 children are born in New Mexico. Every one of these children will need 18-22 immunizations by age six to protect them from debilitating, life threatening diseases. New vaccines are quickly becoming available, resulting in a complex childhood immunization schedule for a large population. Keeping track of immunizations can be challenging for health care professionals.
Keeping track of families is another challenge for health care professionals. The average family relocates multiple times over the course of a lifetime, frequently leaving medical records and valuable immunization information behind. As many as 25% of children visit two or more providers for immunizations before their third birthday.
What is the New Mexico Statewide Immunization Information System?
The Statewide Immunization Information System (NMSIIS), administered by the New Mexico Department of Health, is a confidential, computerized repository of individual immunization records that integrates information from birth and death records, public and private health care providers, and parental records.
It is a secure, web-based system that is compliant with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) standards.
What does it do?
The most basic function of NMSIIS is to be a tracking tool to help keep children on schedule for their recommended immunizations. NMSIIS is also able to:
- Record immunizations, contraindications, and reactions.
- Validate immunization history and provide recommendations.
- Manage vaccine inventory.
- Generate immunization history and recommendation reports to give to parents.
- Produce immunization recall and reminder notices for providers to mail to clients.
- Generate data reports for providers to complete external reports.
Automated data transfer between a provider’s Electronic Health Record (EHR) and NMSIIS is available for providers whose EHR can generate the requisite HL7 2.5.1 messages, which holds great promise for the future.
What are the benefits of using it?
NMSIIS aids your health care organization by saving both time and money. By using NMSIIS, health care organizations:
- Reduce staff time needed to obtain and assess scattered immunization records.
- Reduce expenses and risk incurred by administering duplicate immunizations.
- Reduce missed vaccination opportunities.
- Decrease incidence of disease.
- Decrease incidence of vaccine adverse reactions.
- Prevent vaccine waste through better inventory management.
- Reduce staff time and expense for documenting immunizations and producing reports.
- Improve efficiency of office operations
How do I get started?
To get started with NMSIIS, simply contact the New Mexico Department of Health Help Desk @ 1-800-280-1618.
The NMSIIS Tutorial on How to Access and Use the Global Classroom is now available and covers a broad range of topics on how to use the new statewide immunization information Department of Health Global Classroom system. Topics include registration, logging in, passwords, and more.
Electronic Data Exchange
Immunization providers that have Electronic Health Records (EHR) can electronically submit immunization data. Providers should signup on the Health Information Technology data exchange registration website to get started!
It has been designed as a place to quickly test EHR message formatting to demonstrate the ability to submit electronic Immunization, Syndromic Surveillance and/or Electronic Laboratory Results (ELR) to a public health agency as one of the required menu set objectives for Meaningful Use.
Interested in training? Please ask your site supervisor to complete our NMSIIS Training Request Form today! With it you can request basic, inventory, administrator, reports training, and more.
Please see our NMSIIS Training Slideshow for basic training on the new system.
- NMSIIS Training Slideshow
- NMSIIS Tutorial on How to Access and Use the Global Classroom
- NMSIIS Aggregate Reconciliation Guide
- NMSIIS Immunization Inventory Reconciliation Training
- NMSIIS Quick Reference Guide for School Users
- NMSIIS Education School Module (Standard User)
- NMSIIS Education School Module (Reports Only)
- NMSIIS System Specification Guide
- NMSIIS Onboarding Test Requirements Guide
- NMSIIS Data Exchange Best Practices
- NMSIIS Data Exchange Check List
- NMSIIS Data List of Common Errors
- NMSIIS Provider and EHR Information Sheet