Reporting Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation
The Division of Health Improvement (DHI) provides oversight for home and community-based Medicaid waiver programs and health facility licensing. DHI routinely conducts investigations into allegations of Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation (ANE) and complaints about health facilities. Please continue reading to determine the proper reporting mechanism for each particular situation. The first step is to identify which program you should report the incident to.
Where Did the Incident Occur?
The process you'll follow for filing a report depends on the where the incident occurred.
1. Home and Community-Based Medicaid Waiver Programs
To report abuse, neglect, exploitation, suspicious injuries, environmental hazards, and death in home or community-based Medicaid waiver programs, please visit our Reporting in Home & Community-Based Medicaid Waiver Programs page.
NOTE: Home and community-based Medicaid waiver programs include the Developmental Disability Waiver (DDW) living supports, community supports, employment services providers, DDW case managers, Mi-Via Waiver Providers, Medically Fragile Waiver providers, and certain DDW clients named in the ongoing Jackson litigation.
2. Licensed Healthcare Facilities
To report a complaint or incident against a licensed healthcare facility, please visit our Reporting in Health Facilities page.
NOTE: Licensed healthcare facilities include hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, home health agencies and hospice agencies, dialysis centers, ambulatory surgical centers, freestanding birth centers, diagnostic and treatment clinic, limited diagnostic and treatment clinic, community mental health centers and intermediate care facility for individuals with intellectual disabilities, rural health centers, outpatient physical therapy and speech pathology, and portable x-ray.
3. Other Types of Abuse
Use these resources to report other types of abuse which occurred in any other location.
If you suspect that an adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited, contact:
Adult Protective Services
If you suspect that a child is being abused, neglected, or exploited, contact:
Children, Youth and Families
- Incident Management Bureau Annual Report SFY16
- Incident Management Bureau Annual Report SFY15
- Community Program ANE Reporting Guide (Abuso, Negligencia y Explotación Información Guía)
- Community Program ANE Reporting Form
- Immediate Action Safety Plan
- Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Reporting Poster for Community Programs
- NMAC 7.1.14 — ANE and death reporting, training, and related requirements for community providers.
Community Provider Survey Report of Findings
- Living Supports, Community Supports and Employment Services Report of Findings
- Case Management Services Report of Findings
- Medically Fragile Waiver Survey Unit Report of Findings
- Mi Via Self-Directed Waiver Survey Unit Report of Findings
ANE Training for Community Providers
- Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Required Training Director's Release
- Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Provider Training
ANE Training for Licensed Healthcare Facilities
Licensed Health Facilities
- Health Facility Consumer Complaint Form — Fax number and mailing address are in the form.
- Health Facility Reporting System
- Incident Management System Guide for All Licensed Health Care Facilities
- Health Facility Consumer Complaint Form
- Health Facility Complaint Investigation Five Day Follow-up Report Form
- Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Reporting Poster for Health Facilities
- Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Reporting Tribal Phone Numbers
- NMAC 7.1.13 — Incident Reporting, Intake, Processing & Training Requirements for Facilities