Medical Cannabis Program
Important Information - December 12, 2016
We are making progress reducing the number of days it takes to approve patient applications. The program is in compliance for approving completed applications and printing and mailing registry cards 5 days following approval. In the summer of 2016, the Department of Health extended patient registry identification cards that expired between June 15 and December 31, 2016 for an additional 60 days.
Cards with expiration dates of January 1, 2017 and later are not eligible for the 60 day extension.
While we work to streamline approval processes and printing of patient cards, it is the patient’s responsibility to submit an applications at least 30 days prior to their card expiring; however, MCP strongly encourages patients to submit applications 60 days prior to their card expiring.
During an informal review of patient applications received in 2016, we have found:
- Many patients send their applications after their cards have expired.
- Many patients submit their applications within a few days of their cards expiring.
Please follow the checklist on the application to ensure all required information is submitted.
Temporary Enrollment Extension - August 19, 2016
The Department of Health is extending enrollment periods by up to 60 days for medical cannabis patients whose cards expire between June 15 and December 31, 2016. The enrollment periods for these patients will be extended automatically, prior to approval of their renewal application. We have alerted state and local law enforcement about this temporary change.
NOTE: This extension is not applicable to patients whose cards have already been renewed.
PATIENTS NEED TO KEEP THEIR REGISTRY IDENTIFICATION CARD ON
THEM EVEN IF IT HAS EXPIRED IN THE DATES LISTED ABOVE.
Law enforcement will need to call the number on the back of the registry identification card to verify enrollment status.
Over the past year, there has been an increase in patient applications for the Medical Cannabis Program. The Department is expanding capacity within the Program in order to meet this new demand and working to improve the processing time of applications being submitted to the Program.
THE PROGRAM IS ASKING PATIENTS FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW
TO HELP WITH THE APPLICATION APPROVAL PROCESS.
- Submit patient renewal applications 60 days prior to the expiration of their registry cards. We process applications in the order they are received.
- If you’re unsure of when your card expires, please look at your patient enrollment card. The expiration date is listed on it. Also, talk with the Licensed Non-Profit Producer (LNPP) where you purchase medicine. They can assist you and let you know when your card will expire.
- Make sure your application is complete and that you are submitting all required information. The application comes with a checklist to help you.
- Please provide your correct mailing address.
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will result in a delay in processing.
- Attach all necessary notes or items identified by your doctor.
- The medical certification form can be completed by any medical provider licensed to prescribe medication. The Department recommends checking with your regular medical provider to see if they can fill out the medical certification.
- Medical Cannabis Renewal Applications Letter to Licensed Non-Profit Producers
- Medical Cannabis Renewal Applications Letter to Law Enforcement Partners
1190 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505 505-827-2613 Phone - 505-827-2530 Fax
The meeting will be on the first floor in the auditorium (Room A-1006). Petitions must be received at least 30 days before the hearing to be included on the agenda.
- Medical Cannabis Patient Services Program Relocating (June 28, 2016)
- 12 New Licensed Non-Profit Producers for Medical Cannabis (October 5, 2015)
- Applicant Pool Narrowed for Medical Cannabis Producer Licenses (August 31, 2015)
- Medical Cannabis Licensed Non-Profit Producer List (General)
- Medical Cannabis Licensed Non-Profit Producer Re-Licensures List for 2016/2017 (General)
- Medical Cannabis Licensed Non-Profit Producer Report (2016-Q4) (Report)
- Medical Cannabis Patient Statistics Report (2017-02-28) (Report)
- Medical Cannabis Patient Statistics Report (2017-01-31) (Report)