Substance Abuse Epidemiology Program
New Mexico continues to suffer from the negative consequences of substance abuse. The Substance Abuse Epidemiology Section aims to survey substance use and mental health conditions through available data sources, disseminate information and identify the most effective and proven prevention strategies.
Substance Abuse and Related Reports
- 2013 - New Mexico Substance Abuse State Epidemiology Profile 2013
- 2011 - New Mexico Substance Abuse State Epidemiology Profile 2011
- 2010 - New Mexico Substance Abuse State Epidemiology Profile 2010
- 2005 - New Mexico Substance Abuse State Epidemiology Profile 2005
- 2005 - New Mexico Social Indicator Report 2004
- 2004 - Burden of Substance Abuse in New Mexico 2004
- 2004 - New Mexico Social Indicator Report 2003
- 2009 - Unintentional Illicit and Prescription Drug Overdose Death Trends, 2008
- 2007 - Changing Trends in Drug Overdose Deaths in New Mexico, 2006-2007
- 2006 - Overdose Surveillance in Hospital Emergency Departments in Northern New Mexico: A Pilot Study
- 2005 - Drug Overdose Deaths Decrease Statewide, New Mexico, 2004
- 2004 - Drug Abuse Patterns and Trends in New Mexico
- 2014 - New Mexico DWI Offender Characteristics and Recidivism Report 2002-2012
- 2012 - New Mexico DWI Offender Characteristics and Recidivism Report 2000-2010
- 2009 - The Human and Economic Cost of Alcohol Abuse in New Mexico, 2006
- 2009 - Policy Brief: Next Steps to Reduce Alcohol-Related Harm in New Mexico
- 2009 - Chronic Liver Disease Mortality in New Mexico, 1981-2004 (Part 2)
- 2007 - Chronic Liver Disease Mortality in New Mexico, 1981-2004 (Part 1)
- 2007 - Economic Cost of Alcohol Abuse in New Mexico, 2007
- 2005 - Alcohol Poisoning Death in New Mexico, 1999-2003
Mental Health-Related Reports
Indicator-Based Information System (IBIS)
- Alcohol-related Chronic Disease Deaths
- Alcohol-Related Death
- Alcohol-Related Injury Deaths
- Drug Overdose Deaths
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Institute of Mental Health
Substance Abuse-Related Publications
Landen MG, Castle S, Nolte KB, Gonzales M, Escobedo LG, Chatterjee BF, Johnson K, Sewell CM. (2003) Methodological issues in the surveillance of poisoning, illicit drug overdose and heroin overdose deaths in New Mexico. American Journal of Epidemiology, 57(3): 273-278.
Shah N, Lathrop SL & Landen MG. (2005) Unintentional methadone-related overdose death in New Mexico (USA) and implications for surveillance, 1998-2002. Addiction, 100(2), 176-188.
Mueller MR, Shah N & Landen MG. (2006) Unintentional prescription drug overdose deaths in New Mexico, 1994–2003. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 30(5), 423-429.
Woerle S, Roeber J, Landen MG. (2007) Prevalence of alcohol dependence among excessive drinkers in New Mexico. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 31(2), 293-298.
Shah N, Lathrop SL, Reichard RR & Landen MG. (2008) Unintentional drug overdose death trends in New Mexico (USA), 1990-2005: combinations of heroin, cocaine, prescription opioids and alcohol. Addiction, 103(1), 126-36.
Substance Abuse-Related MMWRs
CDC (2005) Unintentional deaths from drug poisoning by urbanization of area – New Mexico, 1994-2003. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 54(35), 870-874.
CDC (2007) Types of alcoholic beverages usually consumed by students in 9th-12th grades--four states, 2005. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 56(29), 737-740.