Division of Health Improvement Director’s Office
“Assuring safety and quality of care in New Mexico’s health facilities and community-based programs.”
The Division of Health Improvement (DHI) is the Department of Health’s regulatory entity providing compliance oversight for licensed healthcare facilities and community based waiver programs.
It is the mission of New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH) to promote health and wellness, improve health outcomes, and assure safety net services for all people in New Mexico.
The Division of Health Improvement plays a critical role in the NMDOH mission of improving health outcomes and ensuring the safety of New Mexicans. By “Assuring safety and quality of care in New Mexico’s health facilities and community-based programs.”
DHI accomplishes this, through its mission to ensure healthcare facilities, providers and community support services deliver safe and effective health care and community services to promote and protect the health, safety and quality of life for New Mexicans.
New Mexicans benefit when healthcare facilities, providers and community support services provide appropriate and safe healthcare and support services in accordance with laws, regulations and standards of practice.
Through monitoring and oversight, DHI ensures that healthcare facilities, providers and community support services meet minimum standards and regulatory requirements. Monitoring compliance with standards and regulations through surveys, investigations, complaints and caregiver background checks enables DHI to identify any areas that could be dangerous or harmful to New Mexicans accessing healthcare or community services, and work with collaborative within those systems to remediate deficient practices and achieve compliance with standards and regulations.
Enforcement Activities Include
- Conducting various health and safety surveys for both licensed health facilities and community based waiver programs.
- Conducting investigations of alleged abuse, neglect and exploitation of individuals receiving services Conducting caregiver criminal history screenings for providers.
- Administration of the New Mexico nurse aide registry.
- Certifying all clinical laboratories operating in New Mexico meet health and safety requirements.
Focus on Customer Service
DHI is committed to providing excellent customer service to our health facilities, community providers, partners and stakeholders. DHI is continuously working to improve the quality and professionalism of our service to our various customers.
As our valued customers, please let us know; how we are doing? What are we doing well? And what can we do better?
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Has your nursing home or community program recently been surveyed by the Division of Health Improvement? If so, we would like to know how we performed.
- Nursing Home Customer Satisfaction Survey (See Also: Nursing Home Customer Satisfaction Survey Results)
- Community-Based Waiver Provider Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Incident Management Bureau — Please send IMB customer feedback directly to Edward Stallard.
DHI is organized into 3 areas; community programs, health facilities, and administrative and program support services. Please see our Division of Health Improvement Organizational Structure document for details.