INTERESTED IN PUBLIC HEALTH NURSING?
Job Classification: Registered Nurse (Advanced, Operational)
Hiring Salary Range: Depending on qualifications & credentials
Minimum Requirements: Current New Mexico RN license & driver’s license required at time of appointment.
Preferred Qualifications: BSN, Bilingual (English/Spanish), experience in ambulatory care or home health services.
The New Mexico Department of Health is an equal opportunity employer; we are encouraging bicultural and minority applicants to apply. Positions may be a Clinic Nurse Manager or a Clinic Staff Nurse, or program positions such as a Nurse Specialist, Consultant, or Coordinator. Positions offer a variety of professional roles and responsibilities. You may focus on upstream, midstream or downstream factors of prevention affecting the health of the population: respectively, conditions, behaviors, or infection or injury agents. We are looking for professionals who value customer service, teamwork, continuous learning, and results.
If you’re a student in a nursing program or a practicing registered nurse seeking a change, Public Health Nursing offers the challenges and fulfillment you’re looking for plus a real opportunity to make a difference and make life better. During clinic visits Public Health Nurses educate and empower patient to make healthy lifestyle choices. Outside the clinic setting Public Health Nurses assess community health needs, identify gaps and barriers to programs and services, and recommend solutions. And, they advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves.
Your role as a Public Health Nurse may give you responsibility for people in a specific geographic area like a housing project or you may promote the health of a particular group (for example, new mothers). Or, you may focus on a specific disease or condition, such as HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C.
Are you skilled – or desire to become skilled – in….
- Using your independent nursing judgment for health maintenance and disease prevention with individuals, families and groups?
- Functioning as physician extender under delegated clinical protocols?
- Providing case management and health education to targeted patient groups?
- Linking persons to health and human/social services?
- Offering outreach services in community locations?
- Assisting in communicable disease investigations and outbreak control?
- Conducting community needs assessment for at-risk populations
and convening individuals and institutions to address issues for change?
- Establishing partnerships with other local agencies and collaborating for common causes?
- Supporting community emergency preparedness and response?
- Participating in community coalitions, consortia or councils to improve health priorities, plans and systems?
- Making presentations to consumers and providers on selected health topics?
- Obtaining, using and sharing data for research and policy development?
- Performing program planning and evaluation and quality assurance/improvement?
- Serving as a technical consultant to advise others of evidenced-based best practices for personal and population health services.
- Assisting other governmental organizations with enforcement/compliance for issues of laws, regulations, rules, ordinances, and codes that impact health status?
- Working with diverse populations in clinics, homes, worksites, schools & other community settings?
- Contributing to a progressive and multi-disciplinary public health team?
Then make a career with us in the Southwest (SW) Public Health Region! You can help us achieve the greatest good for the greatest number of people or the population as a whole and eliminate health disparities.
Public Health Nursing positions are available in southwestern New Mexico. Work primarily a Monday-Friday, 8a-5p schedule. State car for job-related travel. A pleasant and trusting work environment. Continuing education opportunities. Excellent benefits package, particularly the State sponsored retirement plan.
OPEN CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT
Resumes or CVs are accepted for initial job inquiry. They may be faxed to the SW Region Human Resources Representative at: 575/528-6024 Attn: Director of Nursing Services or Region Director
Applications are vailable online at the: New Mexico State Personnel Office